The student news site of Laguna Creek High School

The Cardinal Voice

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Color guard members feel like family

Color guard, the artistic gymnastics sport, performs for the students of Laguna Creek High School with their elegant spins, twists, and tricks. However, color guard is so much more than just intricate tricks – it is a family. Christopher Horton, a junior, explains that color guard is like a family because he can go to anyone on the team when he needs help or has a problem.
Senior and captain of colorguard, Crystal Bright, could not agree more. “The relationships that you build with the people are so unique,” she says.

Both of them originally joined color guard because their friends were on the team as well, and they have learned so much more from their experiences than they originally thought they would. They emphasize how they learned to manage a busy workload. “Color guard has been really beneficial to me during high school because the demanding schedule makes you incredibly good at time management,” says Bright.

Horton says color guard has brought him amazing experiences, from practices to the many competitions they compete in. “Seeing the smiles we put on people’s faces is the best part of performing,” says Horton. Horton, Bright, and the team march with the band in the fall (but receive an individual score in competitions) and compete independently during the winter. They have done exceptionally well in competitions this year. “Our guard competes in the California Color Guard Circuit (CCGC) and is the only guard in the district to have gone to Winter Guard International,” says Bright.

Her favorite performance is a show they put on last winter called “The Lost City” (which can be found on guard’s Youtube channel) and is about Atlantis.  “It was exhausting but so much fun,” Bright says.

Despite having so many different and successful competitions, Horton is unable to pick a favorite one. All of the events they participate in are ones he enjoys. However, if he had to pick out of all of the competitions the team has partaken in, two stand out to Horton. One such event was the Lodi Grape Bowl the guard team won first place in, and the second is when the guard team traveled to Franklin, where they won a sweepstakes trophy – the highest title that they have.

Horton acknowledges that their success wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for their coaches, because the color guard team has grown and continues to keep growing as the year progresses.
“Our instructors hold us to the highest levels and standards, and we strive to meet those goals,” Horton says. Because of their great successes and the close bonds the members have formed, Horton hopes more members join.

“People should join color guard for the fun and amazing experience that we have in guard,” says Horton. Bright thinks people should join the color guard team because of the hard work it inspires one to put in, as well as the strong bonds and relationships that can be cultivated with the others during the season.

She hopes she can inspire other people to work as hard as they can to be the best that they can be and to improve their skills over the year. “We are all unified by a common goal: to be the best we can, and I love all of them from the bottom of my heart.”

Published in December 2016 Newspaper Issue