The student news site of Laguna Creek High School

The Cardinal Voice

Multicultural Assembly pays tribute to diversity

The annual Multicultural Assembly provides participating students at Laguna Creek an opportunity to identify with and express their culture to the student population outside of their extracurricular activities.

“Laguna Creek is a very diverse school and we should be proud of that,” junior and MECHA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano/Chicana de Aztlan) member Judy Magaña shares.
She believes that celebrations of our school’s diversity should be present at our school every day, not just during the Multicultural Assembly.
“It’s important for us to commemorate diversity daily to make everybody feel welcome at our school.”
Because Laguna Creek’s campus is so diverse and accepting of cultural customs, this event is regarded with respect to the artistic traditions performed.
“It allows our school a chance to celebrate our diversity and honor our ethnic backgrounds,” says junior and Infinite Motion member Esther Chan.
Both Magaña and Chan acknowledge the creative aspects of other cultural dances.
“I really enjoyed seeing the different techniques represented at the assembly,” Chan says. “African dancing has a lot of grounded movements and Bollywood dancing has very intricate hand and foot work.”
Magaña describes her experience as part of the audience in awe.
“What stood out to me most was the performance of Desi Club, with an energy I had never seen before. I also like how they incorporated modern music, because I could easily relate to it,” she says.
Chan’s involvement in the event shows her appreciation and encouragement to learn from other cultures.
“We had a guest choreographer who dances professionally in a Latin style come in for six hours and teach our company a piece. Many members of the company struggled to master the musical tempo, the footwork, and confident characterization. However, our company steadily improved,” says Chan.
Both participants touched on not allowing fear prevent them from showing their culture.
“I feel proud of myself for doing the performance with MECHA, because it is something that I have really wanted to participate in since I saw the Multicultural Assembly in my freshman year,” Magaña says.
Chan acknowledges additional importance of cultural diversity within Laguna in terms of a student body unified regardless of another’s culture.
“Laguna Creek is the most diverse school in the Elk Grove Unified School District, which can be noticeably observed throughout various clubs on campus of culture, religion, and things like that,” says Chan.
Magaña shows her support for the open display of dynamic cultures in her eagerness to have an active role in the event.
“From participating in the Multicultural Assembly, I learned that you should always take chances,” says Magaña.