The student news site of Laguna Creek High School

The Cardinal Voice

Filed under News

New fashion class debuts on course selection

A new elective made its debut on February’s course selection – Fashion I.
Valerie Napiewocki, one of the school’s French teachers, is the club adviser for Fashion Club and created the course and curriculum. She says this new class will be part of a Fashion Career Pathway coming to our school as well.
“Fashion I is a project-based class to help students learn about different fashion careers and skills. The class includes research papers, labs to test fabrics, and sewing,” says Napiewocki.
After students complete Fashion I, they can move on to the more in-depth course of Fashion II, where students will learn career-specific skills that can be applied to jobs students are interested in.
“Fashion II is an advanced course where students will learn a variety of skills to apply in the industry, such as how to use computer software to create illustrations, patterns, and designs,” she says.
Both courses will allow students to build their professional portfolios for them to use in college or in the fashion industry. The pathway will also enable students to add certification to these portfolios.
“Students who complete this pathway will be able to take an exam provided by Precision Exams Clothing and Textiles. Students who pass the exam will be provided with a career skills certificate to add to their professional portfolio and résumé.”
Students will also do service projects in order to connect them to our community, something Napiewocki says is an important aspect in both the club and class.
“Whether it is a clothing drive or sewing baby blankets for parents in need, we want students to find ways to be good citizens and help their community,” she says.
The class’ main goal is to prepare students for their life after school – whether it includes college, finding a job, or starting a business.
“Our goal is to help students improve their skills in research, design, writing, math, and science to complete projects so they have the skills needed to achieve their goals after high school,” she says.
Fashion Club President Leslie Ochoa says this course will be helpful for students who have an interest in fashion and business.
“This class is a great opportunity for people who want to do something in fashion as a career,” says Ochoa. “They’ll be able to be creative and learn a lot from it.”
Napiewocki agrees. According to her, these classes will provide students with opportunities that are not found at schools in the area.
“This class is important because it provides a pathway for students that may not be interested in college. The fashion industry is one of the largest employment sectors in California, and we want students to know they can do more than work at a retail store.”
This class, she says, is meant to teach important business skills.
“Fashion I should be taken seriously. It’s not talking about trends and flipping through magazines – students will be creating designs, creating a business, collaborating, and working with integrity.”
She believes this class will make Laguna Creek a better school.
“I think this class will have a positive impact and encourage other students to come to Laguna Creek for the Fashion Program.”