The student news site of Laguna Creek High School

The Cardinal Voice

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Senior cheerleader works hard to win

Four year veteran Laguna Creek cheerleader Elizabeth Groetsema is enjoying her senior year with the team that has become her family.
“Cheer is definitely a family, because we work together and try to make the best performances for our school. We push and inspire each other every day,” Groetsema says.
Groetsema has been a cheerleader since she was in sixth grade and finds that the sport always presents her with new challenges.
“Whether it be learning harder stunts, a new dance, or a new tumbling skill, there is always a way to challenge yourself and become a better cheerleader,” she says.
Groetsema enjoys the challenge that cheerleading presents, but what she enjoys most is cheering’s unique nature and how teamwork plays such a large role in the sport.
“We’ve got one shot. Mess up and there’s no fourth quarter where we can make up for it. We work hard to take the three minutes we have and make it the best it can be. We have to work together for our routine to be good and for it to succeed,” says Groetsema.
While team bonding will always be number one in her heart, Groetsema’s fondest memory is winning the, one might say, slippery Top Banana prize at the Universal Cheerleader’s Association (UCA) cheer camp.
“We didn’t win it my sophomore year, but we came back the next year with it as our goal in mind. Next year’s camp came, and we won the Top Banana! It was such a proud moment for our team because we had worked so hard to get it,” Groetsema says.
While victory was sweet, the Top Banana was certainly much sweeter. After a long year’s worth of hard work and preparation, the fruit of their labor was ripe for the taking.
“When we got the Top Banana, we all signed our name on it, took team pictures with it, and brought it everywhere with us,” Groetsema says.
Not only did the team win Top Banana, but they have continued to cling to the prize, winning it this year as well.
While Groetsema’s time as a Laguna Creek cheerleader may be fleeting, she does not worry for the future of the team she will be leaving behind. She knows that the team will continue to work hard, learn new skills, and continue to come out on top.
“Our team succeeds because we want to see each other learn and grow,” Groetsema says.