The student news site of Laguna Creek High School

The Cardinal Voice

Filed under News

March for Science held on Earth Day

On Earth Day last April 22, over 600 cities around the country held a March for Science, supporting government policies based on scientific evidence and advocating for the public – and political – acceptance of established scientific facts, including facts regarding the environment and climate change.
One of the hundreds of marches held was held in Sacramento, with approximately 15,000 scientists, educators, and other science supporters marching to the capitol with signs stating “Science is real” and “There is no Planet B.”
“We are here because we feel that facts are being ignored and we feel that facts cannot be debated,” Oliver Fiehn, a professor at UC Davis, said at the march. “People may have opinions about facts, but you can’t ignore facts.”
The March For Science’s national website, while not specifically mentioning newly elected President Donald Trump, mentions the changes some are worried his administration will bring.
“New policies threaten to further restrict scientists’ ability to research and communicate findings. We face a possible future where people not only ignore scientific evidence, but seek to eliminate it entirely,” the website reads.
Trump’s proposed budget would cut the National Institute of Health’s budget by 18 percent next year and the Environmental Protection Agency’s by 31 percent. He has also stated he doesn’t believe in climate change – something this march is against by advocating for government policies based on scientific research.
However, some participants in the march say their sole focus was not the new president.
“It is not just about Donald Trump,” Rush Holt, a former congressman and CEO of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, said to the Washington Examiner in April.
The national march website states the march is a “nonpartisan celebration of science.”
“The application of science to policy is not a partisan issue,” the website reads.
After the marches, the White House released a statement from Trump regarding Earth Day.
“My administration is committed to advancing scientific research that leads to a better understanding of our environment and of environmental risks. As we do so, we should remember that rigorous science depends not on ideology, but on a spirit of honest inquiry and robust debate,” the statement read.
Still, the March for Science aims to support government policies based on scientific research.
“Staying silent is a luxury that we can no longer afford,” the march’s website reads. “We must stand together and support science.”