The student news site of Laguna Creek High School

The Cardinal Voice

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Next year’s ASB presidents ready to make change

Every year, the student body and members of ASB vote to elect new ASB co-presidents for the upcoming school year.
The winners of the ASB election this year were Jared Husing and Sydney Barron, who have both been in ASB since they were freshmen.
Barron says being ASB president is an important goal she’s had for years.
“I’ve wanted to be president since my freshman year, and I’ve worked really hard to be president over the past three years in high school,” says Barron.
Husing says he wanted to be ASB president because he enjoys being in leadership positions.
“I realized how much fun leadership is, and I learned that directing activities is fascinating to me,” Husing says.
What Barron enjoys most about ASB is its inclusiveness and character-building skills.
“ASB is all about being a leader. Even if you aren’t the president, all ASB students have a big leadership role that they contribute to campus,” she says.
Now that she will be one of Laguna Creek’s two presidents next year, she’s excited for the larger role she will get to play.
“The co-presidents have more of a ‘say’ when it comes to activities and decisions. We also get to work more directly with Mr. Haynes. We get to hear everyone’s ideas, which I really enjoy, and help make decisions based on what the rest of the student body wants,” she says.
One change Barron wants to make will give students a louder voice in the planning of ASB activities.
“I want to change how we vote for spirit days and possibly vote within the whole student body, not just ASB,” says Barron. “That way, everyone gets a say and has their voice heard, and the spirit days will be more of what everyone wants.”
As president next year, Husing also has plans to make the school a better place to learn and spend time.
“I want to get more people involved in activity planning,” Husing says. “I want more people to take part in our school and be aware of the opportunities we have present here at Laguna Creek.”
Barron and Husing have known each other since they were in kindergarten, both attending John Ehrhardt Elementary School for seven years.
Barron thinks that having two presidents in ASB makes things run smoother, especially because she and Husing work well together.
“We both have our strengths that compliment each other and will ultimately balance out our weaknesses to make ASB better as a whole. He is definitely more organized than I am, so he will help me with my organization. With two presidents, you can take turns doing certain things and make sure things get done a lot faster,” says Barron.
Husing echoes Barron’s feelings about working together as co-presidents next year.
“We’ve known each other since we were little, so we know a lot about each other,” he says.
Barron says she “can’t wait” for next year to come.
“I’m really excited to be president next year. I like having responsibilities, and I specifically enjoy being a leader, and next school year, I get to do just that. It will be a fun journey, and I’m really excited to try to make ASB even better than it already is.”