The student news site of Laguna Creek High School

The Cardinal Voice

Filed under News, Showcase

FBI director James Comey fired

On May 9, President Donald Trump fired FBI director James Comey while Comey was in the middle of the investigation into Russia’s role in the 2016 presidential election.
This news was a shock to many – including Comey, who reportedly heard the news of his firing on television while at the Los Angeles FBI office, according to Politico.
In part, the letter Trump gave to Comey regarding his dismissal says that the Attorney General and the Deputy Attorney General recommended he be fired and that Trump “accepted their recommendation.”
“While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the Bureau,” Trump’s letter to Comey read. “It is essential that we find new leadership for the FBI that restores public trust and confidence in its vital law enforcement mission.”
Justice Department officials also tell The Washington Post that a contributing factor to Comey’s firing was the fact that he publicly discussed the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email server last year.
Democrats say they feel concerned about how Comey’s dismissal will affect the investigation into the communication between members of Trump’s campaign team and Russia.
Senator Chuck Schumer (D) of New York held a short press conference the day of the firing and said he felt this firing was “a big mistake,” according to The Washington Post.
Regarding the Russia investigation, Schumer believes it must be handled appropriately.
“This investigation must be run as far away as possible from this White House and as far away as possible from anyone President Trump has appointed,” he said.
He also said that a special prosecutor should handle the investigation and said the repeated firings of government officials is a “deeply troubling pattern.”
Senator Bob Casey (D) of Pennsylvania had a similar feeling, saying, “This is Nixonian.”
Trump fired back against Democrats who have criticized his decision to fire Comey on Twitter on May 10, saying, “The Democrats have said some of the worst things about James Comey, including the fact that he should be fired, but now they play so sad!”
Other senators, such as Senator Susan Collins (R) of Maine expressed their support for Trump’s decision and criticized Democrats’ reactions.
“The president did not fire the entire FBI. He fired the director of the FBI. And any suggestion that this is somehow going to stop the FBI’s investigation of the attempts by the Russians to influence the elections last fall is really patently absurd,” she said, according to The Washington Post.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the acting director of the FBI would be Comey’s deputy,
Andrew McCabe, as the search for a permanent director begins.