The student news site of Laguna Creek High School

The Cardinal Voice

Filed under Student Life

Mock Trial places 9th in competition

The Laguna Creek Mock Trial team concluded their season in late March, placing ninth out of 17 high school teams in their annual competition.
Every year, Laguna Creek participates in the Gordon D. Schaber Sacramento County Mock Trial Competition. This competition involves schools from the San Juan and Natomas Unified School districts, private schools, and the Diocese of Sacramento.
Against this wide range of schools, Laguna Creek’s team placed ninth – a single trial away from advancing towards the California Mock Trial Finals in the top 8.
However, many of the Laguna Creek’s trial participants can agree, both prosecution and defense, that they put in many hours of effort and did everything to the best of their ability.
Practice and preparation for the “intense courtroom competition and careful deliberations by esteemed judges” was a must, according to the Sacramento County Office of Education.
Adithi Jaikumar, the prosecution attorney, dedicated much of her time to Mock Trial with her team.
“We had to put in a lot of work and made sure everyone knew their role in the case and what they’re supposed to do. Mock Trial was time consuming. We’d have meetings every week, even some over the weekend,” she said.
The case, received in mid-October of last year, took collective attempts in its development over the course of a few months.
Human trafficking, a morbid yet modern concept, was the basis of the case. The victim reported being ‘trapped in’ and forced to work in a restaurant for less than minimum wage. The team had to determine whether or not she was a victim of human trafficking in the trial.
This particular case allowed the Laguna Creek team to use their sharp analytical and decision-making skills. In fact, many students enjoyed taking part in the case.
Joey Bates, the defense attorney, believes the team had great in-court chemistry.
“Compared to previous years, this season’s trials ended very well. Both teams were solid, and we had a lot of new people that adapted well,” he said.
Although the expectation of winning might have not been reached, their hard work and dedication was commemorated.
“A lot of the steps and developing aspects of our cases and questions were done on our own. We were willing to have flexible schedules with the trials, despite our busy lives,” says Bates.
All Mock Trial participants agree their efforts were rewarded. Not only did they place ninth, higher than in previous years, but they also all grew individually and were able to show their true potential in a professional atmosphere.