The student news site of Laguna Creek High School

The Cardinal Voice

Filed under Student Life

Insight into full IB, the family it creates

Going from underclassman to upperclassman is a challenge and terrifying in and of itself – shifting sides of the gym for rallies, getting closer to the end of high school. It’s a lot to handle.
On top of that, I was about to embark on the most challenging academic endeavor of my entire life.
Whether you are aiming for a certificate or a diploma, the International Baccalaureate (IB) program is an academic experience like no other.
The IB Diploma Program truly does put a student through the wringer and is not for the faint of heart or the weak of will.
Late nights, test after test, paper after paper, project after project, and all of this just leads up to more tests.
However, for all of the stress and mental breakdowns this program has caused, I truly cannot thank it enough for one thing.
These courses, required for full IB diploma students, are Scholars and Theory of Knowledge, and they are broken up by semester throughout the two years.
I got to both start and end my full IB experience with Scholars with Theory of Knowledge in the center.
For many, these classes can seem to be nothing more than schedule fillers at first, but once exposed to them, many students fall in love with the atmosphere and the stimulating discussions, especially those found in Theory of Knowledge.
Theory of Knowledge is the more intense of the two courses, focusing on practically shattering everything you thought to be true and then teaching you that you really can never truly know anything at all.
It’s a lot more fun than it sounds, believe me. Rather than upsetting or scaring me, this challenging IB class was able to pique my interests in every way possible, be it through ideology, through religious beliefs, or through ethics. It made me question everything, and that was a really interesting experience I got through Theory of Knowledge.
There was never a dull moment in this classroom, and that was a gift in and of itself.
In Theory of Knowledge, a student has the ability to convey their beliefs and their opinions on everyday issues, and rather than be torn down, these ideas are built up with the understanding of others.
The classroom is not always one of agreement, but it is one of tolerance. It’s a place to discuss different ideas where people won’t judge you for your thoughts or opinions.
Scholars, on the other hand, is a much less intense course, especially at the end of senior year. Rather than working on mindless projects and busy work, the period is given back to the students for catching up in other classes and for relaxing. It’s the perfect time to work on homework and to study for exams.
The people in these classes have become like a family to me, and we really have reflected on the fact that we are in this program together.
Be it through our constant group photos, our group chat we have where we constantly text, our holiday gift exchange, or even our picnics in the quad, full IB has presented me with an array of people I never could have imagined becoming close to.
When younger students asked me if they, too, should take on IB in their junior and senior years, my answer could have been no due to the stress it sometimes causes me.
However, these classes and the connections I have made because of them have given me a reason to say yes.