MENU

Unable to teach real life skills

Transportation an issue

This 2018 school year, the ATP (Adult Transitional Program) stumbled upon a problem.

Transportation.

The ATP has been waiting on their transportation vans to be approved since July, and has since not been able to leave the LCHS campus often.

The ATP thrives on going out into the community and interacting with others. This teaches them social skills and life skills; such as money-exchange and street law.

They also learn to make money.

On a class field trip to the mall, an ATP student says, “WOW! an escalator, what’s that?”.

They had never seen an escalator nor been on one.

The student was able to go on their first escalator ride on this field trip.

That’s what the ATP Program is about.

It’s stuff that people don’t think about. Silly stuff like, “wow, an escalator, what’s that”, says Tina Sandlen.

The ATP Program is a program for students (18-22 years) with mental disabilities. In the four years, the program’s objective is to prepare its students for an an independent life and adulthood.

Currently, its students are running enterprises.

During school lunches, ATP Students sell key-chains, lanyards, stickers and trendy pins. At local elementary schools, they sell crafts in the main office.

The funds they receive go towards field trips and activities for the students.

However, it’s not about the funds, says ATP Instructor Tina Sandlen. Rather, it’s the social skills the students obtain from exchanging money and saying “Hi” to others.

Their field trips to the grocery store, recycling centers, and regional landmarks, offer hands on experiences to everyday things they will encounter in their own lives.

UPDATE (04/29/29): The ATP Program no longer has an issue with transportation. Buses have been approved by the district since late 2018.